Today would have been my Grandma’s birthday. It still makes me sad to think about not seeing her every time I go to Sedalia, but I have pictures like this that make me remember how awesome our relationship was.
- Don’t judge people based on anything except what’s inside.
- Always treat people with respect.
- Don’t let people walk all over you.
- Don’t leave the gas pump unattended.
- How to tie a hook when you go fishing.
- How to spot a morel in the woods, even if it’s covered in dead leaves.
- How to tie my shoe.
- The phrase “up shit creek without a paddle”.
- And about a million other little bitty things that I don’t remember until it happens in action.
I wish she could have met Amelia and The Kid and seen who I would become after finally being able to be comfortable with who I am. I wish I could make a quick trip down to Missouri and spend a day fishing on the lake with her. I wish she was still passing along true life crime books to me after she’d read them. I wish she was still sneaking an extra 10 bucks into my Christmas card every year. I wish a lot of that stuff.
Without getting all religious and spiritual, I’m just glad to know that she’s always watching out for me now. No matter what.
Happy Birthday, Grandma.