Version 1 and Version 2 weren’t really what I would call overwhelming successes, but, hey, they can’t all be winners, right? I kind of like this checklisty type thing, so I’m doing it again. Plus, I only have to update it once very 1001 days. I CAN DO THAT.
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as new year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Begin Date: March 4, 2016
End Date: December 1, 2018
Items Completed: 15/101 (14.8%)
Items Not Completed: 2
Italics indicates an in-progress item
Red indicates a non-completed (i.e. failed!) item
- Add to my left arm tattoo piece.
- Plan out my tattoo for Riley and get it.
- Read at least, on average, one book a month. (33 books by the end of this project. 31/33)
- Reread all the Harry Potter books and watch the movies.
- Watch all the Star Wars movies in order.
- Rollover my old 401K to my current one.
- Make 25 free throws in a row.
- Post on my blog every day for a month.
- Celebrate my 40th birthday in a big way – travel, friends, something.
- Enter something in the Minnesota State Fair.
- Graduate with my Bachelor’s Degree.
- Take a full week of vacation at once every year. (Duluth/Key West in 2016, Missouri/Staycation in 2017)
- Build up wendyberry.com for something.
- Complete a cross-stitch pattern.
- Redo this website again.
- Finish up this ancestry.com nonsense.
- Prepare another 101 list before this one is done.
- Make five random Pinterest projects. (Firepit, stupid calm down jar) Adult Stuff
- Go out with friends in some fashion at least once a month. (2016, 1/2017, 2/2017, 3/2017, 4/2017, 5/2017, 6/2017)
- Date night once a month with my wife. (3/2016, 5/2016, 8/2016, 9/2016, 10/2016, 11/2016, 12/2016, 1/2017)
- Write/update our wills and grownup paperwork.
- Go on an overnight with no children and/or animals.
- Force my wife to go on a solo trip at least once a year.
- Volunteer for a new organization.
- Donate a gallon of blood (8 pints).
- Setup an automatic donation to a charity.
- Do the Polar Plunge again.
- Try out three new churches (unless the 1st one is awesome).
- Join the board of a non-profit.Family
- Send my grandparents at least one postcard a month.
- Make a decision on Ozzy being a big brother.
- Send our entire immediate family birthday cards in one year.
- Get June to the point where she doesn’t lose her shit when people come over.
- Find a new vet for June.
- Run another 5K.
- Take another fitness class.
- Lose 40 pounds.
- Ride/walk/run 100 miles in one month.
- Hit 10,000 steps every day for a week.
- Go to the dentist.
- Find a new primary care physician.
- Get my eyes checked once a year. (2016, 2017)
- Go a month without delivery, take out or fast food.House
- Make a new fire pit for our house.
- Plant a new garden.
- Organize the garage so both cars will fit.
- Put Christmas lights on the pine tree in our front yard.
- Replace the wooden chips and random plants in our front yard.
- Make the laundry room more functional.
- Make the basement more functional.
- Hang all our artwork.
- Get new dressers for the bedroom.
- Fix the bathroom window so people can’t watch us shower.
- Have game night at our house 2x a year.
- Paint the dining room. New Thing
- Go to a drive in movie.
- Go to a gun or archery range.
- Try 10 new recipes. (Buffalo Chicken Soup, Kalua Pig, Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese, Chicken Philly Sandwiches, Steak Philly Sandwiches, InstaPot Mac & Cheese – 6/10)
- Visit 30 new restaurants. 26/30 (Fireside Lounge & Bar, Capitol View Cafe, Crooked Pint & Ale House, Blvd Bar & Grille, Highland Grille, Taco Libre, Giordano’s (the Minneapolis version), Boatright’s Dining Hall (Orlando), Anchor Bar (Superior, WI), Square Grouper (Key West), Bagatelle (Key West), Sandbar Sports Grill (Key West), Roostica (Key West), Frita’s (Key West), Cedar and Stone, Killer PoBoys (New Orleans), Cochon Butcher (New Orleans), World of Beer (New Orleans), Oceana Grill (New Orleans), Copper Monkey (New Orleans), Grindhouse Killer Burgers (Atlanta)., Carmine’s (Woodbury), Junction 70 (Cottage Grove), Revival (St. Paul), Buttered Tin (St. Paul, St. Paul Grill (St. Paul))
- Watch 20 new documentaries.
- Use Untapped again to try 10 new beers. Éphémère Bleuet by Unibroue, Apple Jack by Sociable Cider Werks, Apple Hard Cider by Uncle John’s Hard Cider, Mexican Honey Imperial Lager by Indeed Brewing Company, Ciderkin by Argus Cidery, Blueberry Wheat by Abita Brewing Company, Rekorderlig Päron by Åbro Bryggeri, Hopitoulas by NOLA Brewing, Blonde by NOLA Brewing, Strawberry Ale by Convington Brewhouse.
- Easily identify 10 new constellations.
- Buy a new computer.
- Visit the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
- Visit (or hike) some type of a cave.
Out and About
- Spend a day geocaching.
- Go fishing.
- Go to three different sporting events at the U of M. (Women’s Basketball)
- Go to the Minnesota Zoo again.
- Play BINGO in a bingo hall or casino.
- Go to five shows. (Indigo Girls, Harry Connick Jr.)
- Go to another Rollergirls bout.
- Keep Ozzy’s baby book up to date.
- Take Ozzy to swim lessons at least once a year.
- Get Ozzy’s pictures taken once a year (outside the holidays).
- “Sleep train” Ozzy.
- Take Ozzy camping.
- Print out a Shutterfly album for each of Ozzy’s years.
- Make an annual video for Ozzy each year.Photo Stuff
- Take a frameworthy picture of each letter of the alphabet.
- Complete the 365 Photo Project.
- Archive all my digital photos onto a hard drive.
- Scan all the pictures/papers my grandma put together for me.
- Print out our Disney pictures from last year and put them in an album.
- Convert my parents’ VHS tapes to DVD.Travel
- Go on at least a weekend vacation with my brother and his girlfriend.
- Go to my 20 year class reunion.
- See the Lynx play somewhere other than the Target Center.
- Spend a night/weekend in Duluth. (May 2016)
- Visit somewhere outside the US.
- Visit Jenni and Matt in Key West once a year. (2016)
- Go to the Missouri State Fair.
- Visit Paul Bunyan and the Blue Ox in Bemidji. (July 2016)
- Go to the SPAM museum.
- See a lighthouse in person.
- Go see the Kansas City Royals play in Kansas City.
- Visit a new state.
- Go to a work conference on average 2x a year. (2016: SHRM Talent Management Conference in Orlando and TCHRA Spring Conference in Minneapolis; 2017: TCHRA Spring Conference in Minneapolis and the Annual SHRM Conference in New Orleans, recent Employment Law conference, Diversity HR Lab)
- Get a work-related certificate.
- Get a new title.
- Be at work by 8am for a week.