I always feel weird writing these things from a non-pregnant partner’s point of view, because it’s missing all of the details that moms search for, like “round ligament pain” or “puking on the side of the freeway”. (My pregnant wife would have searched for the first thing, by the way. The last thing is all me.) However, I also know that when we first found out we were expecting I couldn’t find a single place online where I could commiserate or learn from non-pregnant partners – moms, dads, what have you. So, boom.
Today, our fetus is 13 weeks old.
Amelia had a blood test last week (due to her ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE) just to test for any weird chromosomal stuff, since insurance pays for things like that when you’re 82. Along with that, they’re also pulling DNA, which will identify the sex of the baby. That test was on 4/23 and they said we should have the results in 7-10 days. Essentially, I’ll be celebrating Cinco de Mayo by knowing whether or not I’ll have a son or a daughter come late fall.
- Can current pee and scratch itself, making this mom super proud.
- Cartilage is being replaced by bones and RIBS are forming to protect the tiny little organs that are actually starting to work on their own.
- And hooray for their intestines finally being on the inside!
- This baby has a mouth that’s opening and closing and if the baby’s anything like this mom, it’s probably going to be open all the time and that closing part isn’t all that important.
- The weirdest thing for me to grasp? This tiny being already has formed fingerprints!
Size from head to butt: 3 inches. Also 3 inches? My… nope, never mind. But if you fold a dollar bill in half, that’s the same size as this baby. It’s the same length as my pointer finger. Do you have a business card? This baby is just a smidge smaller than your business card. That’s kind of nuts.
Here’s the most up to date science-y looking and generalized picture of our baby (via EHD.org):
Your key to weirdness in the above photo: forehead (1), elbow (2), rib cage (3), right knee (4), tiny foot (5), right balled up little first (6), little baby back (7) and hip for shaking (8).
- Crib purchased! It was agonizing. I’m not kidding. We looked online, we looked in baby stores, you name it. We ended up using an IKEA gift card we got from Cindi and Adam for our wedding and putting that towards a nice little Swedish crib.
- Big brother is getting into this little sibling. He picked out a puppet for the baby at IKEA and he had to try out SEVERAL before he found the right one. He’s also planning on bringing over some other puppets from his dad’s house, so he’ll be able to have a bigger selection.
- We’ve been pre-approved for a car loan to add a second car along with our second child. We have a few ideas of what we’re looking for and we’ve been needing a second car anyway. Now we just have to find one that holds one teenager, one car seat, one large dog, one small dog and whatever the heck else we need when we travel, and yet still get decent gas mileage.
- We got a new Lazy Boy reclining rocking chair and an awesome area rug, so our living room is not only baby friendly, it’s also grown up looking, too.
- We loaded a car full of crap to the dump this last weekend, too. We’re in purge overload, but everything we purge, we’re just replacing with baby stuff. I blame Children’s Place and it’s evil 40% off codes that I use to buy all their clearance things. I got another email today, but I looked and I have literally bought everything on clearance that’s gender neutral.
That’s a lot. Oddly enough, it’s actually going really smoothly. Like really smoothly. I can only imagine that when we have our Level 2 Ultrasound on May 23rd, we’ll find out there’s a twin in there or something.