1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Started planning a wedding
Adopted a tiny puppy
Jumped off the Stratosphere in Vegas
Took part in a mini-golf league
Gave up any kind of meat for over a month
Ran a mile straight without doing it for a grade (like in junior high) or while being chased
Came out to my grandparents
Visited a reproductive psychologist
Buried tiny kittens
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Nope. Haven’t for years.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
There was Ember, Eddy, Amanda, Henry, Emmett, a bunch of Facebook/high school friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I remember. That could be a bad thing.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More traveling. More hanging out with my friends. More sports!
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The Sunday we were in Vegas – we jumped off the Stratosphere and then a few hours later, I proposed to Amelia.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Proposing. Working towards improving my credit and actually seeing it go up. Saving more.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Working too much and letting that drain me from wanting to be social.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nah. Nothing past the norm.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new iPad.
An engagement ring.
Our puppy, June.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone who supported the rights for gays to be married.
My kid’s for seriously kicking it up a notch in school.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People that quote the Bible in situations where they don’t know any other argument to give. Don’t tell me in one breath that my sexuality is against what God says when you’ve been divorced or went to Red Lobster last week, since God says that’s wrong, too.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Savings. Wedding stuff.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Wedding planning. Can’t believe I said that.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Rhianna’s “We Found Love”
Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up”
Phillip Phillips’ “Home”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter – IT’S TUBBY TIME.
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Traveling, socializing. Freelancing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Working. 60 hours a week is too much. Freelancing doesn’t count, because that’s bonus.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Sedalia with my family, but still missing my fiancé and kid.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Of course. More with my ladyfriend
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Sons of Anarchy
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I wouldn’t call it hate. Strong dislike, definitely.
24. What was the best book you read?
Stone Butch Blues
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2012?
Indigo Girls. Shut up.
26. What did you want and get?
A fiancé. An iPad.
27. What did you want and not get?
ONE TRILLION DOLLARS.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Not gonna lie. I loved Avengers and Jack Reacher. I love me some mindless actiony stuff.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34. We had a housewarming/engagement/birthday open house. There were cupcakes. It was fantastic.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More time in the day.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Same as always – jeans, t-shirts, thermals, sneakers. I have snuck in more ties, which I’m a huge fan of.
32. What kept you sane?
My ladyfriend. My pets. My friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
ALL OF THE KARDASHIANS FOR SURE.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Equality and gun control.
35. Who did you miss?
My grandmas – I only saw the one that’s still living once in 2012.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Becky, Chris and Jake! A couple of my co-workers.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
I work too much. I love what I do, but it takes away from everything else in my life when I consistently work 10-12 hour days.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
As I wander through this valley
In the shadow of my doubting
I will not be discounted
So let it ring
You can cite the need for wars
Call us infidels or whores
Either way we’ll be your neighbor
So let it ring
Let it ring
in the name of the man that set you free
Let it ring
And the strife will make me stronger
As my maker leads me onward
I’ll be marching in that number
So let it ring
I’m gonna let it ring to Jesus
Cause I know he loves me too
And I get down on my knees and I pray the same as you
Let it ring, let it ring
‘Cause one day we’ll all be free
Amy Ray – “Let it Ring”