I’ve seen this all over the place and figured now would be a good time to do it. I’m kinda bummed that I didn’t do this exact same meme last year, though.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?â€¨
Traveled to a bunch of new places (Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, the Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, North Dakota, Montana), gotten tattooed, went snorkeling, got my passport, became an ordained minister, spent a week on a cruise ship, and rode an airboat.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?â€¨
I thought I was going to read two books a month, but failed miserably. My only resolution for 2008 so far is to keep a travel journal!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?â€¨
My friend Beth had a little girl named Addy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?â€¨
My old boss from my last job died right before Thanksgiving and this summer, another former boss of mine died, too.
5. What countries did you visit?â€¨
the Dominican Republic (which makes it my first country ever to visit). Also, the Bahamas and Puerto Rico, but I don’t know if those count as other countries.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?â€¨
A job. An apartment in Minneapolis.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?â€¨
Jan 12-14: Trip to Vegas
Mar 6: My 5th Anniversary in Minnesota
Mar 25-Apr 1: Cruise to the Caribbean
Jun 28-July 1: Roughrider Days in ND
Jul 14: Boob Ha Ha Auction in St. Louis
Aug 1: The 35W Bridge Collapsed
Aug 2-5: Baseball Road trip to Milwuakee and Chicago
Aug 16: I shaved my head
Aug 24-26: My 3rd 3 Day and my parents’ surprise visit
Sept 21-26: Camping at Brunet Island
Oct 11: Got fired
Dec 14: Awesome Christmas Party
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?â€¨
Raising $5000 for The 3 Day and shaving my head as a result of it.
9. What was your biggest failure?â€¨
I should say it was getting fired, but I don’t really feel like that was a failure at all! Maybe not winning 5 billion dollars in Vegas or not staying in the Virgin Islands permanently when I was there earlier this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?â€¨
Just typical stuff!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets, hotel rooms, tattoos, booze, tickets to shows and sporting events – holy shit, I’m a rock star!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine, because it always does.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?â€¨
People I used to call friends, maybe a family member or two. The country’s current administration, but that should be a given.
14. Where did most of your money go?â€¨
Rent, bars, Riley’s vet, the dentist, to buy sneakers, traveling, and IKEA.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?â€¨
Vacations! And going to Lynx games.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?â€¨
Anything by Doomtree, in general, but probably "Stronger" by Kanye, if I had to pick just one song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:â€¨ a) happier or sadder? â€¨b) thinner or fatter? â€¨c) richer or poorer?â€¨
c. Richer. (the last couple of months of unemployment may have balanced it out to be about the same, though!)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading, working, dating.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?â€¨
20. How did you spend Christmas?â€¨
In Missouri, with family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?â€¨
Of course. When don’t I fall in love?
22. What was your favorite TV program?â€¨
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?â€¨
It takes too much energy to hate.
24. What was the best book you read?â€¨
Um, a self-help book.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?â€¨
I think Doomtree, because this was the first year I really listened to them a ton.
26. What did you want and get?â€¨
A reason to get out of my previous job.
27. What did you want and not get?â€¨
A new job that pays millions.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?â€¨
Smokin’ Aces, No Country for Old Men, Transformers
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?â€¨
I turned 29 on March 18th, and we celebrated with hockey and lots of drinking. And Thai food, because nothing makes me have a happier birthday than pad thai.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The perfect job. And millions of dollars. Work gets in the way of The Awesome sometimes.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?â€¨
Jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. The same fashion concept I’ve been rolling with since I was 7, and I really have no plans or desires to change that.
32. What kept you sane?â€¨
My friends. My puppy. My own personal growth.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?â€¨
Various contestants from A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila and various basketball players. Okay, there’s no various about it – it’s one contestant and one basketball player. And one bartender, but I don’t think that counts.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?â€¨
Anything that involves judging people because of a a lifestyle.
35. Who did you miss?
I missed my grandma pretty bad this year. And I missed all of the people that were on our cruise ship this past March!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Some friends of The Cuz. Friends of friends, that kind of thing. I can’t pick one.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.â€¨
Just be who you want to be and fuck everyone else. Oh, and trust me – I know it’s easier said than done.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"No one will ever be like me" – P.O.S. in De La Souls (and if it weren’t for Matt, I’d probably have that tattooed on me somewhere right now. And I’m pretty sure it’s a good thing I don’t!)