When I was in middle school, nobody ever offered me any drugs and it wasn’t until high school that I was offered any kind of booze. We always heard stories of the rub-on stickers that were laced with acid on the back, and how we shouldn’t take any stickers from strangers, because they could be trying to get us hooked on drugs.
Seven students from Hazel Park Middle School Academy in St. Paul were taken to hospitals Tuesday after ingesting crystal methamphetamine. … The girl confided that the group of students, including six girls and one boy, had found a substance and “ingested” it, officials said. (link)
Okay, what?Â Granted, this isn’t the best neighborhood in the world. I lived about two miles from Hazel Park when I first moved to Minnesota, and the house I lived in was broken in at least half a dozen times. And come to think of it, I had a kitchen knife shoved through my bedroom door by a kid who went to that school, if that tells you the kind of population that makes up its attendance.
According to the school’s news website, this mysterious “substance”, which isn’t identified in a letter sent home to parents, was passed around during lunch. I’m almost 30 years old and I actually had to look up how to properly ingest meth. I’m honestly not embarrassed by that either.
When I was 13 or 14 and sitting around during lunch while in middle school, do you know what we did? We talked about our middle school band teacher’s wife was surely a bitch and how we were going to get out of running lines in basketball practice after school. We weren’t really bringing unidentified substances into school and haranguing our friends until they put them in their mouth.
I keep forgetting that 15 year ago, the New Kids on the Block were battling it out with Bon Jovi to be our favorite band, and tight rolling jeans and wearing big hair had just gone out of fashion.Â It continues to boggle my mind that kids are into things like this so early in life.