the power is back

Sometime around 3 a.m. Saturday morning, I woke up to an incredible amount of thundering and lightening, vaguely noticing my power was out. I was pretty much beat, so I made a plan of escape in my head that involved grabbing my Grandma’s rings, my removable hard drive, my dog, and heading out the door should the tornado sirens blow. And then I went back to sleep.

I can’t remember why I woke up a few hours later, but I did – still without power. Nobody at my shit hole apartment complex office was answering the phone, which is no surprise, so I went to take Riley out to go to the bathroom. For whatever reason, the emergency lights in the building weren’t on, so you can imagine the joy I experienced when trying to coax my dog down a flight of stairs in complete darkness and not trying to fall myself. There were a few trees that had been uprooted in my yard, and several other neighbors outside trying to figure out what the hell we were going to do with our day and no electricity.

I called the power company to find out that my outage had been reported, and they were expecting to my electricity restored by end of day Tuesday. Yeah, I swore a lot.

I had a tattoo consult (more on this in a minute or when Windows Vista stops being a dirty bitch when I try to import pictures) scheduled for 4pm yesterday, so my plan was to go over some fonts and pick something out, but that really couldn’t happen. And it was pretty hot outside, so I felt really bad for my dirty ol’ dog panting all over the place, and I didn’t feel right leaving him inside. I also had to take a shower, which was less than enjoyable when I realized the hot water heater was powered by electricity. My stove also happens to be electric, so it wasn’t like I could even boil water. How the hell do the Amish do it?

Some little shit (probably one of the two dozen children that live in the apartment next to mine) ended up pulling the fire alarm in the middle of all of this no-power fiasco, causing the police and firetrucks to come and evacuate the building. By 3, I had to head out, so I left Riley with a bowl of cold water and a bowl of ice cubes, and stopped at Walgreen’s on my way to Minneapolis to pick up a battery powered fan we could use when I got back.

The power evidently came back on around 9pm last night. The power company’s called twice to make sure I have power and the apartment complex assholes called about 10 minutes ago in response to my message from yesterday that said “Hey, someone’s gonna break their neck trying to go down stairs with no lights”. They’re prompt, the folks in the rental office.

Now I’ve gotten sucked into America’s Next Top Model, because MTV is showing all of Cycle 7 IN A ROW.

What's up?