Chele had been reminding me (and Jenni) to do this for years, so I can’t let her down! I was able to find mine all the way back to 2007, but I think this end of the year tradition is probably older than that.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Graduated with my Bachelors Degree.
Graduated from the West St. Paul/Mendota Heights Citizen Police Academy.
Became a Reserve Police Officer.
Went to my 1st SHRM Conference.
Went to Duluth for a couple of nights.
Had high blood pressure.
Went to Bemidji.
Went to my 20th class reunion.
Shot a handgun. (And I was really good, you guys.)
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
Don’t make ’em. Unsubscribe.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some of my co-workers had some terribly awesome babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
The usual, which is only this one.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
My dog. More traveling, more organization in my life.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Riley died, my grandma’s 90th birthday, surprising Jenni for her birthday, seeing Ozzy’s face at Disney when he recognized some of the characters he knew (also the same day Prince died), election night.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Continuing to co-raise a little boy, who’s turning into a really great toddler. Getting a college degree and a promotion are cool and all, but they don’t hold a candle to that little guy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my prescription sunglasses. They were like $15, man.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
High blood pressure, the start of some weird ass thyroid thing that’ll flare up sometime or other. Old people stuff.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My backpack. Anything travel related.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My wife’s. It seems like it does every year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m looking at you, Trump voters.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Our house. Our kid. And now savings because we’re scared shitless about what money we might need when Obama’s no longer in office.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Lynx winning the championship again this year. Being in an airplane going anywhere. Anytime my kid does something for the first time.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
I don’t even know. I don’t listen to music in the car anymore! Maybe Hamilton stuff, though?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Fatter or thinner: Thinner.
b) Richer or poorer: Probably the same.
c) Happier or less happy: Happier.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Learning. Teaching. Moving. Doing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being a lazy ass.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Missouri with family, like we always do.
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
I did. I do.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Fixer Upper. And then I learned that Chip and Jojo give money to queer-hatin’ Republicans and it makes me so sad because I JUST LOVE SHIPLAP. I don’t even know what TV programs are on right now and we’re ditching cable next month, so I’m always gonna be mad at this question from now on. Stranger Things was great.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word. But then again, I’ve never felt so much hate in my life with the way things are in America right now.
24. What was the best book you read?
You guys, I actually read books. Like 14 of them. None for school. I mean, I should have read four for school, but I didn’t.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2016?
The Hamilton soundtrack. I heard it for the first time playing a game with Matt and Jenni and I couldn’t even pay attention to the game because I wanted to read along to all the lyrics.
26. What did you want and get?
A promotion. A degree. A healthy son.
27. What did you want and not get?
A positive pregnancy test. A briefcase full of large unmarked bills.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don’t think I saw a movie this year that wasn’t animated.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 38. And I don’t really remember what I did.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Different election results.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Sweater vests are coming back, you guys. I know it.
32. What kept you sane?
My kid’s laugh. My wife. My friends. Oddly, my boss.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Michelle Obama. Dem guns, you know?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
My potential lack of individual freedom for the next four years tend to stir me a little bit. Russia blowing the United States off the face of the earth. People being shot or punished or, oh, what’s that word… oh, discriminated against because of who they are. I mean, nothing too big.
35. Who did you miss?
My dog. My grandma. My family in Missouri. My friends that I can’t just call up and be like, “hey, wanna go to brunch?”
36. Who was the best new person you met?
We met a handful of queer parents at a random play date earlier in the year and it was awesome to finally find a group of like-minded parents with toddlers. My new co-workers.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
Uninstall those weather apps when you’re on vacation in Key West and be the person on a bike with no shoes on riding down Duval Street laughing out loud because it’s pouring down rain.